Tuesday, January 31, 2012

German Discipline

I learned some things today about what is acceptable & unlawful in the land of sauerkraut & schnitzel....

First, it is against the law to spank a child - not that I am planning on beating my future children, but coming from America this is different and interesting to me.  The children here seem very independent too and I wonder how the two correlate as you might think that a very well behaved child is also a strictly disciplined child.....just something to ponder.

Secondly, kids can run around and scream at the top of their lungs, can kick a ball around until the noise makes you want to rip out your hair, and can climb all over the trains like monkeys.  They can do all of these things with out being scolded and there is nothing anyone can or will do about it because it is believed that 'kids need to be kids'.  Please don't imagine a bunch of children running the streets being annoying and rambunctious - although I have witnessed some very irritating children on the train that made me wonder what the hell was going on.  I agree that kids need to be kids and they need time and space to do so and I find it to be a great that society protects this belief.  On the flip side, there have been one or two times when I've wanted to ask some wild children to settle down, but I guess it would not have mattered anyway.

Maybe I find these differences interesting because I am expecting my own child and I've been reading a lot about raising children.  Food for thought for now!