Sunday, January 22, 2012

Baking "Home"

There is something about baking and cooking in general that grounds me and completely absorbs my focus.  Admittedly, me in the kitchen has a tendency to equal tornado, but enjoy every moment.  The act of creating something from fresh whole ingredients to nourish the body fulfills me deep down - maybe that is the origin of the term soul food.

Food has the ability to change our state of mind, to make us feel better physically & emotionally, to comfort us.  So what better way to channel home when living 4,000 miles away, not to mention, satiating the pregnancy cravings the biggest drive behind my recent baking experience.

Morning Glory Muffins - my favorite!
They sound healthy, they have carrots & fruit in them so I can easily overlook the two cups of sugars.

My Morning Glory Muffins
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole grain flour (Vita Brot Organic flour)
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all the above ingredients in a large bowl.
Add to flour mixture;

2 c. grated carrots
1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped (next time I want to trying pineapple)
1 c. raisins
1/3 c. walnut pieces

In separate medium bowl, whisk together;

1 egg
2 egg whites
1/2 c. applesauce
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients.  Mix until just moist.  Pour mixture into lightly oiled muffin tins.  Makes 6 large muffins.  Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes (less time if using smaller muffin tins).

Finally, simply enjoy your home baked muffins (or two if you are pregnant)!

*Mom, if you read this, I know you are jealous and I promise to make you a batch or two when we come home this summer or when you come to visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment